Ever had a boring afternoon with an empty fridge or probably just bored to death of eating chips and sandwiches? Try this easy to make pastry that you will surely love.
Puto is a Philippine delicacy made out of rice flour and steamed. There are a ton of variations to this dish like cheese, pandan, salted egg and shredded coconut.
Because it is very easy to make, it is quite easy to experiment and add new flavors to this depending on how you want it to be.
If you want to do this, be sure to have some miniature muffin molds or cups similar to this. You may also use those metal ones.
For this recipe, I’m using all purpose flour as it is the only flour available.
Puto Cheese Recipe
2 cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 cup Milk
1 tbsp Baking Powder
1/2 cup Sugar
1/4 tsp Salt
Topping – Cheese or Salted Egg (Sliced into 1/8ths, if desired
Food Coloring, if desired
- Mix all ingredients together, except toppings.
- Start heating the steamer.
- Pour in the mixture into the molds.
- Once the steamer is ready, put in the filled molds into the steamer.
- Cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- If using cheese or salted egg, add these in at the beginning. If using quick melt cheese, add this in at the end.
- Allow cheese to melt, if using quick melt but turn off heat.
- Remove the molds from the steamer and the puto from the molds.
- Allow to cool and enjoy!
Some like this as a side dish or for dessert. I like this as a breakfast or snack food. Very easy to make.
I tried substituting sugar with condensed milk at the same amount, it was delicious!
If you like other variations, check out Overseas Pinoy Cooking.